Graduate School of Science
Faculty of Science
There are various volcanoes on a continent
crust which a plate is subducting like japan. For example, large stratovolcanoes, small stratovolcanoes, caldera volcanoes monogenetic volcano area, and etc. Volcanoes that are categorized into a type have some common features on composition and volume of erupted magmas and volcanic history. On the other hand, they also have individualties. I want to understand magmatic processes in the earth interior, universality and individuality of volcanoes, and mechanisms which govern variety of volcanoes. Furthermore, I want to establish a theory that predict long-term evolution of volcanoes.
Volcanic activities are governed by magmatic processes such as generation, segregation, upwelling, interaction with crust, and accumulation. The fact that volcanic diversity is large on continental crust suggests that crustal processes of magma are important for variety of volcanoes. Thus, I mainly study the crustal processes of magma and try to physically model melting and crystallization processes by interaction between magma and crust. Additionally, I petrologically investigate a natural caldera volcano (Aso volcano) as a case study because I think that we can see interaction between magma and crust more clearly in caldera volcanoes with voluminous magma. As the above, I aim to establish a model of igneous activity which is rational from physical and chemical points of view.
- Takeshi Ohba, Seigo Ooki, Yu Oginuma, Minoru Kusakabe, Yutaka Yoshida, Akira Ueda, Katsuro Anazawa, Kazuto Saiki, Katsuya Kaneko, Yasuo Miyabuchi, Issa Issa, Festus Aka, Wilson Fantong, Andrew Ako, Gregory Tanyileke, and Joseph Hell. Decreasing removal rate of the dissolved CO2 in Lake Nyos Cameroon after the installation of additional degassing pipes. Geochemistry and Geophysics of Active Volcanic Lakes，437, 2016.
- Kazuto Saiki, Katsuya Kaneko, Takeshi OHBA, Mitsuhisa Sanemasa, Minoru Kusakabe, Romaric Ntchantcho, Alain Fouepe, Gregory Tanyileke, and Joseph Hell. Vertical profiles of dissolved CO2 concentration in Lakes Nyos and Monoun estimated from sound velocity of lake water. Geochemistry and Geophysics of Active Volcanic Lakes，437, 2016.
- Katsuya Kaneko, Kazuhisa Inoue, Takehiro Koyaguchi, Masako Yoshikawa, Tomoyuki Shibata, Toshiro Takahashi, amd Kuniyuki Furukawa. Magma plumbing system of the Aso-3 large pyroclastic eruption cycle at Aso volcano, Southwest Japan: Petrological constraint on the formation of a compositionally stratified magma chamber. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 303, 41-58. 2015.
- Katsuya Kaneko, Koichi Ito, Yuichi Anbe, and Kodai Iwahori. Development of mobile sencor for volcanic observation "HOMURA". Bulletin of Volcanological Society of Japna, 109-118，2010．
- Kaneko, Katsuya, Hiroki Kamata, Takehiro Koyaguchi, Masako Yoshikawa, and Kuniyuki Furukawa. Repeated large-scale eruptions from a single compositionally stratified magma chamber: An example from Aso volcano, Southwest Japan. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 167, 160-180, 2007.
- Kaneko, Katsuya and Takehiro Koyaguchi. Experimental study on the effects of crustal temperature and composition on assimilation with fractional crystallization at the floor of magma chambers. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 129, 155-172, 2004
Partial List of Professional Service: