Groups and Research Activities
English / Japanese
Nonlinear Science Laboratory
Prof. Yukio-Pegio Gunji(URL), Assistant Prof. Taichi Haruna(URL),
Assistant Prof. Kazuhito Yamasaki(URL)
2 PDs, 12 Doctor course students, 5 Master course students, 7 Undergraduate students
- Office: Graduate School of Science and Technology Bldg 3,
Room 520 (Gunji, Yamasaki), 517 (Haruna)
- The central issue of our laboratory is the emergent behavior and robustness of the occurrence ( e.g., functions of biological systems) in complex systems. Our research subjects are all those "to occur or emerge an unpredictable matter", "to evolve and develop", and "to change or transition the state or shape". Our Nonlinear Sciences Group was recently introduced in Dynamical Systems Magazine July 2006
- In general: Dynamical wholeness What is wholeness? We generally evaluate the notion of parts and whole in science. A concept
is generally defined as the equivalence between Intent and Extent. If you
indicate a particular object as the extent of wholeness, it is nothing
but a part in a universe. If you define an object as the extent of wholeness,
you always generate another "wholeness". We cannot comprehend
the notion of wholeness as a concept. In spite of such a difficulty, we
use the concept of wholeness, in terms of both linguistic and mathematical
tools. We have to focus on a kind of discrepancies between intent and extent
of wholeness. In so far as we cannot prescribe the extent of wholeness,
the definition of the extent of wholeness is destined to be local and dynamical.
Dynamical wholeness has to be implemented by focusing on that aspect.
- Internal measurement/endo-physics (formal approach) The essential feature of the internal measurement and/or endo-perspective
is examined, and a formal model of the endo-perspective is proposed by
introducing the mixture of intra- and inter-operations.
- Biologically motivated computing (slime-mold computing) Emergence and an error are both sides of the same coin. Clearly, not an
error but an emergent computing is based on the relationship of trust between
a user and a machine. To manifest that aspect we implement Boolean gate
as a biological device made of slime mold.
- Cognitive Systems / Consciousness The cognitive experiments and models
in which consciousness are grasped as dynamical duality between types (ideal
forms)- and tokens (materialistic)- computations are conducted and proposed.
That is a perspective phenomenal computing. Almost of all natural phenomena
( for example, turbulence in atmosphere, flow of water and smoke, earthquake,
evolution of life, chemical reactions, thinking in brain) and also social
phenomena like communication, cognition, economy are all complicated, (and
even dexterous or ingenious for biological systems) nonlinear phenomena.
- Current Projects:
- Formalization of endo-perspective / Internal Measurement biased on Weak
Functors (e.g., infomorpshism)
- Implement of biologically motivated emergent computer
- Experiments and models for false memory
- Experiments for Savant and subliminal memory and analysis of cognitive
space in terms of lattice theory
- Econo-physics based on dynamical infomorpshism
- Complex networks from category theoretical point of view
- Discreteness of chemically reacting systems
- Molecular assembly under thermal gradient condition
- The new theory in geology and paleobiology is proposed by the mathematics, the experimentation and the field study
Updated Date: 1/ 4/2013